Monday, October 18, 2004

WHAT DID I COME DOWN HERE FOR?

"For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace." 1Cor. 14:33

I hate when I go all the way downstairs and have no idea why I am there. Surely I went down there to do something or fetch something, but I can't remember what it was. I have to go back upstairs and retrace my steps through the house until it dawns on me what my errand was. Even though I can benefit from the exercise, I get frustrated with my confusion; I have a lot to get done in a day and this is not an efficient use of my time.

I have a lot on my mind...too much, it seems. I can't remember things, I am always scrambling at the last minute, my thinking process becomes murky and I don't always make the best decisions. When confusion reigns, peace suffers. The above verse tells me that this is not God's will for us. I have a pretty good idea who the author of disorder and strife is. I have heard it said that Satan does not always have to tempt us to cause us to sin; he can just keep us too busy. When I am stressed, overwhelmed and tired, it is much easier for me to dishonor God with my attitudes, words and actions.

My friend, Cheri, in dealing with her mother-in-law's estate, is overwhelmed with "stuff". Always one to strive for a simpler lifestyle, Cheri is really committed to downsizing and is encouraging the rest of us to do likewise. Less material clutter to deal with will certainly lessen disorder in our lives. I believe downsizing our schedule, calendar and commitments is also essential for peace. It is so easy to get over involved because there are so many good things to be involved in. I need to prayerfully discern which activities are God's will for me and my family, guarding against overload.

Making time to clear our minds is another guard against overload. I find when my day is crowded with responsibilities and activities my devotional time is the first thing to suffer. Though it is the desire of my heart to make quiet time with God a priority, the clammer of the day's schedule makes it a struggle. I want to honor God by having an orderly home. I need to daily pray for wisdom and discernment regarding what things are priorities and what things I need to eliminate. Taking a break to relax and refresh my mind in the midst of the busyness of my day is a priority. Having a clear, calm mind will help me bring order to chaos.

2 comments:

Cheri said...

Thank you for not downsizing me from your life.
I may be the one wiping the drool off your chin before too long.

Lora said...

I have great friends! :)