Tuesday, October 19, 2004

THIS OLD TENT

Saturday, our family attended the Barry McGuire concert held in a nearby town as a fund-raiser for a Christian school that just opened. Some of you may remember Barry in the 1960s as the lead singer for the New Christy Minstrels, as the lead male role in Broadway's original production of "Hair" and his number one hit "The Eve of Destruction". After increasing frustration and searching for the truth, Barry's life took a new turn when he met Jesus Christ in the early 70s and he began a career in Christian music and mission work, which he continues today.

Barry was a profound influence in my Christian walk when in 1975, as a 15 year old, I was given the album "To The Bride" which Barry recorded that year with two Christian groups of artists, The Second Chapter of Acts and A Band Called David. The Holy Spirit used the words of Barry's stories and songs on that album teach me and draw me closer to the Father. After almost 30 years, I was still able to sing those songs along with Barry at the concert Saturday night.

How cool it was to be able to share with my children this man and his ministry that had been so foundational in my life as a young believer! Barry has such an open and engaging way of presenting the Word of God; I could see my kids were impacted just as I had been. With laughter, honesty, music and humility, Barry McGuire tells his story, the story of how the Saviour reached him in the midst of a life of sin and death; and washed him clean by the blood of the Lamb.

I loved how he explained to the audience of moms, dads, grandparents, big kids, little kids and babies, that our bodies are just a temporary home for our spirits...like a tent. Barry said, "When you look in the mirror, what do you see? The front end of your tent!" Someday, when Jesus calls us home, we'll leave this earthly tent that sags and leaks and flaps in the wind; and be clothed with our heavenly dwelling...a perfect, glorious spiritual body! (2 Cor. 5:1-5) So until then, here I am in this old tent -- patching it up, sweeping it out and re-staking the ropes to hold it against the wind. But the really cool part is God's Spirit is camping with me!

No comments: