Saturday, October 09, 2004

BIRTHDAY SONG

I haven't blogged the last few days because I really wasn't home long enough to do so. Wednesday was busy with appointments, errands and Family Dinner Nite at church. But Thursday and Friday were a special birthday gift from Mark. He took two days off work to do whatever I wanted to do...he couldn't have given me a better present. We headed up into the U.P. without any real destination in mind, just a general direction and spontaneity.

Driving west on U.S. 2, as far as the eye can see, the hills of the iron and copper range are ablaze with an intensity of color that takes your breath away. We got as far as Bessemer and decided to head north 15 miles to Black River Harbor on Lake Superior. Once there, we hiked up to Rainbow Falls through beautiful hemlock and yellow birch forest, sat on the bluff above the rushing gorge and watched a fly-fisherman further downstream. We followed a narrow foot path on a spine of a ridge down to the shore of Superior, where the clear water stroked the sand and stones. As I sat there, I reflected on 44 years...where did they go? I don't feel 44 in my head (my knees and hips are another story). God has been so good to me; brought me through so much and blessed me in spite of my being prone to wander. I sang praise to Him there on the shore of Gitchee Gumee, by the Shining Big Sea Water...

I will praise You, O Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all Your wonders. I will be glad and rejoice in You; I will sing praise to Your Name, O Most High. (Ps. 9:1-2)

When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and the stars, which You have set in place, what is man that You are mindful of him, the son of man that You care for him...O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is Your Name in all the earth! (Ps. 9:3-4,9)

No comments: