Wednesday, August 31, 2005

NO NEWS IS GOOD NEWS

Seems like every year when my family retreats to the cabins in Silver City there is some great, shocking, scandalous, or devastating event going on somewhere in the world being given 24-hour media coverage. In the ten years we've been going, our trip has coincided with such things as Princess Diana's tragic death, Bill Clinton's affair with Monica, the slimy, mud-slinging home stretch of two presidential campaigns, and the Sept. 11th World Trade Center horror...to name a few. This year it is the unbelievable devastation of Hurricane Katrina.

Being that there are no phones, TVs, or radios at the cabins we are blissfully ignorant of the graphic details and constant talk of these events. I don't say "unaware" because, with the exception of Princess Diana's death, all the aforementioned were already in motion before we headed north. It is not until we come back to "civilization", and stop for our traditional burgers at Henry's Bar in Rockland, that we are brought slammingly back to reality.

This year, the burgers were hard to swallow while watching the scenes of immense wreckage, loss, and death on the TV screens at either end of Henry's dining room. And then last night, watching the senseless looting and violence that this type of catastrophe seems to bring out in some people. I don't understand it and it makes me want to bury my head, not only in the sand but in my hands and weep.

But our peaceful interlude of rest and relaxation in the UP helps me to lift my head, lift my eyes and prayers up to Him who knows all ... all the details, all the pain, all the horror and shock. The true Good News is that God loved the world so much, He sent His beloved Son to die for each and every person ever born so that, if they would just believe in Him and trust Jesus, they would not perish but have eternal life. And salvation is not just something reserved for after our earthly life is over. Walking with JESUS makes all the pain, sorrow, and hardship bearable.

I am daily convicted of the necessity of being faithful to share my faith in Him with those around me; to share the Good News with the lost and searching. There are people all around me who live in devastation and wreckage that has nothing to do with a hurricane.

2 comments:

Cheri said...

Amen!

Anonymous said...

It was hard to read your blog
without ending up in tears even
though it was one week past.
But I greatly appreciated your
comments and I appreciate you.
Ann