Saturday, August 06, 2005

MARTHA MARY MOMENT

Wednesday, my busy schedule opened up unexpectedly and I had a choice to make: stay home and get caught up on housework and pay bills, or go to Ontonagon to see my grandmother. These things bore equal pressure on me because I was negligent in both. This summer has been so packed I have struggled to keep up, and unfortunately some very important areas have suffered. As I weighed my options, my conscience told me, "Look at what a dump this house is and those two bills are overdue! How could you have let that happen?" My heart quietly pointed out, "It's been a month since you've seen Nana. Housework and bills will always be here, but she won't." It was the classic Martha Mary thing. (Luke 10:41,42) Happily, my Mary heart won out and I threw some snacks in a cooler, the kids grabbed their swimsuits and towels, and we took off for Ontonagon (stopping in town long enough to pay a couple bills). :)

I am so thankful we went. The kids have not seen their great grandmother since before she fell, breaking her hip, last February and ending up in the nursing home. At almost 99 years of age, a person's resiliency isn't what it used to be and Nana has changed in physical appearance and strength considerably. I was a little concerned about how the kids would handle the nursing home, as it can be disconcerting at times. Once when visiting Nana, her roommate had kicked off her blankets, wriggled down in her bed so her nightgown was up around her waist, and was babbling in Finnish. I summoned an aide and wasn't too disturbed but was glad my kids hadn't witnessed it.

God is good. The nursing home was quiet, Nana and her roommate were both asleep (and fully covered) when we arrived. I gave the kids the opportunity to come, one by one, to the bedside and look at her. They were able to process what she looks like now, and their reaction, while she was asleep. They were startled and tears were in their eyes, but it was a good thing. I hugged them and talked with them and when I did wake Nana the kids were able to greet her without being hampered by trying to hide their emotions. They were relieved to find she knew them and still had her great sense of humor. We visited about an hour and I knew it was a blessing to Nana as well as to us.

My dad came to the nursing home while we were there and, when we left, we spent some time with him. Then we we headed for the beach. As I sat on the shore watching my kids swim, play and laugh together in that great lake where their great grandmother had once done the same, my heart swelled with joy and thanksgiving. I had made the right choice.

1 comment:

Cheri said...

Good job, Mary, I mean Lora!

The gift of time, is like giving a tithe. We don't know how we can afford it, but we give out of obedience. God abundantly blesses and provides for our needs.

Watch now and see how He gives you time to do the things you need to do!