Saturday, November 06, 2004

BLESSINGS ALL MINE...

Another beautiful fall afternoon. Not the glorious golden of a few weeks ago -- all the leaves have left their summer perches and drifted to their winter beds. I spent a couple days raking our yard a week or so ago, as I figured all the leaves that were going to come down were down. No sooner did I finish that job than a tremendous wind kicked up and down came all the tenacious oak leaves that hang on for dear life, sometimes even all winter. Now it doesn't look like I did a thing out there. Oh, well...that's what spring raking is for.

I am torn between being outdoors today and tending to some tasks in the house. I'm big on compromise -- I have a good start on cleaning and re-arranging some in my bedroom, I've set two loaves of bread to rise in their pans, chicken breasts are simmering for tonight's dinner, and three loads of laundry are done all the way to being folded and put away. When the bread comes out of the oven I am going to take to the woods with my shotgun and dog and see if I can get the jump on a wiley grouse.

Mark ground up a bunch of venison burger this morning and now is out hunting this afternoon. Ramsey is in Rhinelander drilling with his National Guard unit, Taylie worked until 1:00 at the Tackle Box and now is finishing up some schoolwork so she can get back to her knitting. Tessa and Wylie are matching socks and then will escape outdoors for the last of the afternoon.

All day today I have had such an awareness of how God has blessed me. There was a time in my life when I despaired of ever being able to conceive a child...now I have four! The 9th verse of the 113th Psalm, a very special passage for me, comes to mind: "He settles the barren woman in her home as a happy mother of children. Praise the Lord." Amen

1 comment:

Cheri said...

Godliness with contentment is great gain. We are rich!