Sunday, September 05, 2004

SCHOOL DAZE

It's that time of year again when I must pull my mind back from summer pursuits and get on the school track. Homeshool, that is. This is a process that always begins with questioning myself: Why am I doing this? Wouldn't it be easier to put the kids on the bus and let the school district my taxes support do the job? Wouldn't it be nice to be home alone all day?...The house would stay clean for several hours at a time! I could take classes at the local college or get a job and supplement the family income. Am I able to do this important job well enough? Am I just trying to prove a point here?

Good questions. The answer to the first and most pertinent question is: I have been called by God to teach my children at home. I knew this even before I became a mother. God has given all parents the responsibility of educating their children and there are different options for accomplishing this: public school, private school, tutoring and homeschool. I want my children to have an education that honors God as our Creator and Sustainer. This requires a Bible-based, Christ-centered curriculum which the public school, by the law of the land, cannot provide. So scratch that option. I cannot afford the tuition at a private school or the fee for a tutor. And the private, parochial schools in our area are either Catholic or Lutheran and our family is of neither of those faith traditions. That leaves homeschooling.

Most days I feel very blessed to be able to teach my children at home. I won't lie...there have been days when I've wanted to flag down the yellow bus and say, "Take them! I've made a huge mistake!" But overall, I enjoy having my kids home with me...I tell them that if they weren't so annoying they could be my best friends! : ) Homeschooling has become a lifestyle and it allows us to be flexible -- if something's not working we try something else.

Sure, I think about taking college classes or getting a job for extra income, but what would be the price I'd pay? I actually don't want those things badly enough to find out. My time will come; this is not the season.

Am I able to do this important job well enough? On my own...no. With Jesus Christ in me and beside me to follow and lean on...yes. Not in my own ability and wisdom but in His. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Ph. 4:13 It is only by His grace that Ramsey, our eldest child and first homeschool graduate, is testing at a 12th grade level in the High School Equivalancy Diploma program at the local college. I have so much to be thankful for!

Am I trying to prove a point? Yes: God's grace is sufficient for me and His mercies are new every morning. Oh, the things I am learning while I think I am teaching my children!


No comments: