Wednesday, September 08, 2004

FREE-TO-BE-ME CAMPING

We are getting ready for my favorite weekend. Every year husband, Mark, and son, Ramsey, fish the Lake Gogebic Walleye Tournament and our family camps in the Michigan State Park on the south shore of this big, beautiful, 15-mile long lake. It is my favorite time of the year to camp -- the bugs are gone, the fall colors are out, the campground is quiet since it is after Labor Day. Just a handful of retirees in their flashy motorhomes and us in our 1971 Holiday Rambler.

Mark and Ramsey spend their day battling wind and waves, wrassling down-riggers and 7'6" fishing rods. They come back to camp beat. I spend my day drinking coffee and reading in bed, taking walks with the kids, reading by the shore, doing crafts or playing games, reading in the shade or in the camper if it's rainy, feeding the ducks, or taking a nap. Sure, I fix a simple breakfast and lunch, put venison and vegetables in the crockpot for supper's stew and wash a few dishes, but I'm relaxing!

As enjoyable as extended-family and church-family activities are, I always feel a self-imposed strain. I feel like I'm being rude if I read, I feel like a slug if I sleep in past 7:00 and I feel like I need to be involved with the company I'm in. That's not relaxing for me.

So this is my time, once a year, to get away and unwind. No phone, no TV, no news. No one else's agenda or scheduled activities. When we pull out of the campground on Sunday afternoon, it's back to reality: homeschooling, housework, church activities and running the kids to their various lessons, jobs, youth groups and appointments. I need this time to be rested, refreshed and ready to tackle "the real world".

No comments: