Friday, November 11, 2005

VENISON FOR A VETERAN

A couple weeks ago I informed the four kids that they were all going to be responsible for planning and preparing one supper a month. I said they had to keep the cost under $10 and that included dessert, if they wanted it. Ramsey, of course, dug in his heels and objected to this idea, but the other three enthusiastically started looking at cookbooks and in the freezer, pantry, and cupboards. Wylie was the first to pick his day to cook and claimed today, Veteran's Day. I asked him if we should invite Papa (my dad) to join us for the meal and he liked that idea as well.

Wy wanted to learn to cook fish, venison, and duck. We have plenty of duck, thanks to Ramsey, but no venison as of two days ago. So Wy was going with duck. Tuesday evening I checked messages on the answering machine and heard a twangy, redneck voice say, "Venison. It's what's for dinner." Couple hours later there was a nice six-point hanging in the garage. And Wyler switched gears on his dinner menu: tenderloin, mashed potatoes, and corn with cranberry-apple cobbler for dessert.

My dad is coming down from Ontonagon to participate in the Veteran's Day ceremony held every year at the school, then he'll go to the nursing home to visit the vets who reside there, and also go spend some time with a fellow Marine and Korean vet who is slowly dying of cancer.

Dad did his part in serving his country and now he's doing his part in remembering, honoring, and encouraging fellow veterans. I'm glad to do my part and teach my children to never forget the sacrifices made by their grandfather and so many others. Are you doing your part?

3 comments:

Cheri said...

My father in law was at Pearl Harbor on that infamous December day in 1941.

He survived, although many of his buddies did not, including his bunkmate.

Dad had attended church that morning and the Japanese attacked as he was returning. His habit of church attendance likely saved his life.

He had many stories to tell, but kept most of them to himself. After his death we read his journals only then realizing the horrors he had lived through.

He was an amazingly sweet man. We miss him and honor him today.

Thomas J Wolfenden said...

I try to do something for the older vets when I can, either through the American Legion (I'm a member)

The rod & gun club I belonged to back in PA used to donate to "Hunters for the Hungry" half od what ever game we took during whatever season was open was always doneted to them...

Lora said...

Thanks so much, Cheri. It's good to share and hear the stories of those who have served and sacrificed so much. We must never forget nor take our freedoms for granted.