Tuesday, January 11, 2005

TIME TO SHINE

My resolution for this new year is to better manage my time. It hits me that time is the only thing that stands between me and eternity. God has given me 1,440 minutes in each day. How I use those minutes is up to me. Some day I will answer to God and give an account of how I managed the gifts He gave me, time being one of them. I was meditating on God's Word to us in Ephesians 5:15-17, as follows: "See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is." The word "redeem" means to "buy back" or "buy out of". Back from or out of what? I believe in this context it means to buy it out of the world; all the distractions and darkness of the world. We must "walk circumspectly", which literally means to see all around one's self. This tells me I must proceed through each moment of my day carefully choosing how I will act and react, seeking God's will and making choices accordingly. I must understand our times and carve time out of the bondage of evil. To redeem the time means to make the most of every opportunity, not just let it sift away unused or wasted. Verse 11 of this same chapter tells us: "Have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them." Expose them with what? With the light Christ gives us. "For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light...finding out what is acceptable to the Lord." (Eph. 5:8-10) Wow...I was once darkness, but now I am light in the Lord. "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!"

No comments: