Wednesday, January 05, 2005

A NEW YEAR

After a very nice Christmas with family and friends, we brought in the new year with Mark injuring his back at work on December 29th. After the emergency room, X-rays, doctor's office visits, and an MRI; it was determined to be a ruptured disc. The first few days were the roughest with a lot of pain and discomfort, difficulty moving, getting in and out of bed/recliner, sleepless nights, and a bad reaction to the prescribed pain-killer, Vicadin. But gradually, the pain has lessened and mobility has increased. He will begin physical therapy tomorrow and visit the doctor again on Friday.

As the doctor's order were to not go back to work, it has been interesting having Mark around the house this much. (As Cheri says: "Men are not meant to be home." And I am empathizing with Cindy, whose husband isn't working this winter.) It is difficult to get anything done and he asks, "Who are you calling?" every time I pick up the phone. When I'm in the basement doing laundry, he's calling for me from upstairs. When I'm in the bedroom, he's calling from the kitchen. When I'm doing school with the kids, he's interrupting, "Babe...". I love my husband and I'm always wishing he could be home with us more, but at this point he is getting shack-happy and is alternating between being silly and cranky. Fortunately, it's more often silly.

Some might say all this does not bode well for the new year but I am so thankful that I have my husband, unlike our friend, Sarah, who lost her beloved on December 4th. I am thankful that I can trust God is in control, even when finances are strained and the future is uncertain. I am confident He will provide for us and care for us in His loving mercy. Already, this has been a blessed New Year for us.


2 comments:

Cheri said...

Since there were no witnesses you can not prove that I said what you alleged I said. And if this ever comes up in a conversation in which my husband is present I will have to deny everything.

Suzi said...

So sorry to hear about Mark! We'll keep all of you in our prayers.

It is nice to have husbands around, but I have to say I'm never unhappy about time alone at home....

Take care! Love, Suzi