Monday, January 09, 2006

STOP THE RIDE! I WANNA GET OFF!

Life around here has not slowed down much after the holidays. Every day on the calendar since the first of the year has had at least one thing written on it: Bible study Monday evening, Tuesday AM I ran over to the house I clean at to change bedding and get the laundry going, then at 1:00 attended the funeral of a friend, Wednesday AM finished cleaning the vacation house before guests arrived at noon, then off to church to help Mary prepare and serve the monthly Family Nite Dinner. Thursday we made a WalMart run to stock up and give the kids a chance to use their giftcards. Friday morning back over to the vacation house to get started changing bedding again, cleaning bathrooms, kitchen, vacuuming, etc., between those guests leaving and the next arriving at 4:00 PM. The cleaning was interrupted midday by having to run Taylie down to the high school in Eagle River to get on the bus taking all the youth group kids to Green Bay for our church's District Youth Conference. Then dropped Tessa and Wylie off at piano lessons, ran and grocery shopped while they were there, picked them up, zoomed back to the vacation house to finish cleaning before 4:00. Went in the ditch at 5:00 (haven't done THAT in 20 years -- maybe more about that in next blog), yanked out of the ditch by 5:30, threw together a very nice salad (if I do say so myself) to take over to friends' house for pizza and cards at 6:00 (we were a half hour late due to aforementioned vehicular incident). Up next morning (Saturday, if you're keeping track), threw pot roast in slow cooker and off to work at the Tackle Box at 9:00 -- not my usual thing but the regular employees happen to be my kids -- Taylie, as I said, was gone to Green Bay for Districts, and Ramsey had National Guard duty for the weekend. Tackle Box owner and employer, Karen, was scraping the bottom of the Haynes barrel and came up with Mom. Worked from 9:-4:30 PM, got home, made mashed potatoes to go with pot roast, canceled card night scheduled for that night at other friends' due to exhaustion and the fact that I still had to make a birthday cake for Tessa. Church Sunday morning, then over to my folks for an early birthday celebration. Home at 9:00 PM. Very relieved to find a message on the answering maching saying Senior High girls' 7AM devotions and Junior High 3PM Bible study were canceled for Monday. Whew...

I don't know about you but I'm getting too old for this pace!

2 comments:

Cheri said...

Makes you want to write the verse 'make it your ambition to lead a quiet life.....' next to your phone doesn't it?

Just wait, though, someday the house will be way too quiet... ours is getting that way as Daniel is out more than he is home it seems.

Lora said...

Actually, I have that verse on my kitchen windowsill but perhaps the phone is a better spot!

And you are right, it is this season of life I'm in...before I know it I'll be wondering where everyone is, what they're doing, and why they don't call.