Thursday, April 23, 2009

GIFTS I NEVER ASKED FOR

This morning I was in town running errands and picked up an old Indian walking down the road. He also happens to be an old friend. I gave him a ride to his home and he invited me in for a cup of tea. A very delicious cup of tea...something from South Africa. When I asked where he'd gotten it he replied, "I'm a man of the world, you know." We sat on the back steps, sipping tea, catching up on each other's kids, and reminiscing. When I left, he gifted me with 3 bottles of this year's maple syrup and a new pair of moccasins.

As I drove home I thought of the unexpected gifts a day can bring. A visit with an old friend, precious pure maple syrup...new moccasins. I hadn't asked for any of those things, but they were bestowed upon me. In my opinion, these are the best kind of gifts.

My thoughts turned to how God knows what we need and He gives...whether we ask Him or not. Even whether we love Him or not. So many things we take for granted...the air we breathe...the power that enables us to move, function, work, and play. Many un-asked-for faculties...a brain that can reason; sensory perceptions with which to see, hear, smell, feel; and a heart that steadily moves my lifeblood throughout my body.

Most of the many gifts and blessings God has given me I never asked for...His Word so I might know Him, His Spirit which renews my mind and strengthens my heart to obey Him, His Son to take the penalty of my sin that I might have eternal life in Him, and free will to choose. I didn't ask for these things, yet He gave them to me. "Every good and perfect gift is from above and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no shadow of turning." James 1:17 NKJV

Thank you, Father God, for so much.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its been a long day and your blog was very refreshing and just what I needed. Thank you Lora.
Love,
Ann

Candy said...

Good reminder for me, Lora. As many times as I tell myself I take too many things for granted and I want to change that, it seems like all of a sudden I realize I have been doing it again.

Cheri said...

Yes, very refreshing. Ahhh.
I hope I can be as generous a friend!

Cheri said...

And I'm so proud of you for getting the link thingy to work. Hooray for you!

Didn't you just love the Guernsey Potato Peel Pie and Literary Society? Well, I did. Book report please.

Lora said...

Thank you, girls, for your affirming comments...additional gifts I never asked for. =)

Cheri: I did enjoy the Guernsey Potato Peel Pie and Literary Society...anything with "potato" in the title has to be good, right? And thank you for your tech help with the formatting...who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?