Thursday, December 23, 2004

CHRISTMAS PRESENT

At this moment (I'm not committing to anything beyond that!), I believe I have all my Christmas preparations done...I think. The gifts are wrapped, the stockings stuffed, the cards are sent. I may have forgotten something or something may come up at the last minute, but I'm not going to worry about it. I have so much to be thankful for this Christmas season and every day. The holiday spirit was dimmed somewhat this year with the tragic death of a friend earlier this month in a horrible mill accident. He was 41 and left behind a wife and three young children. Their loss is ever present in my mind as I go about the holiday preparations, parties, concerts, and worship services with my family intact. I can't imagine the pain this young wife and mother must be feeling as she tries to guide her grieving children through this time. I want to do something to ease their difficulty -- I've written our condolences, made offers of help in any way needed, and sent money to help with the financial burden. These may be appreciated but, to me, they seem so inadequate. I can't heal their wounds, I can't give them hope for tomorrow, or peace for today. But God can and so I intercede for them in prayer; asking that He would comfort them, hold them, bring His people alongside to walk with them through this valley. I pray that He would give them His peace, which is beyond our understanding. I believe that is what the heavenly host were speaking of when they praised God above the fields of Bethlehem, saying: "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, goodwill toward men!"

No comments: